Hooleyan is on Farm Road 680 three miles east of the Childress county line and four miles south of the Red River in an isolated region of extreme northwest Hardeman County. It was founded in the late 1890s and supposedly named for two members of an early family. It was sometimes referred to as Hooley Ann. An early county school in the settlement served the area as a church and community center until its students were combined with those of four nearby school districts in 1927 to form the Williams High district. By 1915 Hooleyan had one store; by 1940 its population had grown to fifty, and it had two stores. The small community was listed on 1980 county maps.
>> Hooleyan, TX